100% Disabled Vet Needs Help

by floyd

I am a 100% disabled vet.

Because of my medical problems my wife left me, and left me to try to pay for everything. I have already lost my home and car.

My father passed away so now i am trying to take care of my mother. I am now behind on my rent, lights and all other bills.

I am just looking for some help to get me through a month. I have never asked for help before, but I just don't know what else I can do.

Floyd, we're sorry to hear of the struggles you are currently facing.

You didn't give us your e-mail address, so we can't contact you for more information, or if anyone offers assistance.

Since you mentioned you are a 100% disabled vet, I'm assuming you are receiving VA disability pay. Have you also applied for a VA Pension? It sounds like you might qualify, and if this amount is greater than your current disability payment, you would receive the larger amount.

Also, the VA has a couple of additional benefits you might want to check into. One is called Aid and Attendance, and is paid in addition to the monthly pension payments (but you have to be eligible for the pension before you can receive A&A).

In order to qualify for A&A, you must be bedridden, a patient in a nursing home, blind (or nearly so), or require the assistance of another person to perform everyday living tasks such as bathing, feeding, dressing, etc.

If you don't qualify for A&A, you might qualify for Housebound benefits, which requires that you:

1) Have a single permanent disability evaluated as 100-percent disabling, AND due to such disability, you are substantially confined to your home,


2) Have a single permanent disability evaluated as 100-percent-disabling, AND another disability, or disabilities
evaluated as 60% or more disabling.

To apply for A&A or Housebound benefits, you must write to the VA regional office which has jurisdiction over your claim. This would be the same office where you file your claim for pension benefits.

You might also apply for a grant from the VFW through their Unmet Needs program. This could be up to $2,500 in grants that do not have to be repaid. The money is paid directly to the creditor (the landlord, electric company, etc.) and not to the individual.

Each case is reviewed individually and decided by a committee. Their criteria says you must have been discharged in the previous 36 months, but I would submit an application anyway if that's not the case, and see if they would make an exception. The application form is here. In the block where you explain how the hardship was caused, I would include a statement that I don't meet the stated criteria because I was discharged more than three years ago (if that's the case), but that I don't know where else to turn, and ask if they can recommend someone who can help me if they can't.

It's worth a shot.

There's another organization called USA Cares that might be able to help.

You didn't mention how long ago you served, but both of those organizations focus on post-9/11 veterans.

There's also the Vietnam Veterans Assistance Fund (VVAF) if you happen to be a Vietnam veteran. It is now known as the Veterans Support Foundation.

You should also try your state veterans assistance office, and your service's aid agency (such as Navy and Marine Corps Relief, Air Force Aid, Army Emergency Assistance, etc.). If they can't help, they should be able to point you to someone who can.

Best wishes to you, and thank you for your service.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Money Problems?.

If you didn't find what you're looking for, use the search bar below to search the site:

Connect With Us

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to our e-mail updates Subscribe to our RSS feed

As Seen In

Newest Articles