Veterans Day Specials 2016
Merchants nationwide are offering Veterans Day Specials to honor those who have served in the armed forces. Some involve substantial discounts, including free meals at several restaurant chains in honor of Veterans Day.
Veterans Day is observed on November 11, commemorating the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I, on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. It was originally known as Armistice Day, and is still celebrated as Armistice Day in other parts of the world.
On Veterans Day, November 11, please pause at 11:00 a.m., wherever you are, and say a quick prayer of gratitude for the millions of men and women who have served to protect and preserve our freedom. And be sure to thank the veterans you know.
While technically, a veteran is someone who has been discharged from active duty service, traditionally America honors both veterans and active duty service members on Veterans Day. Some of these specials are for veterans only; some include active duty.
Be sure to take with you some ID that will show proof of your status as a veteran, such as a retired military ID card, a copy of your DD-214 (just show it, don't give it to them), a VA Universal Access card, a membership card from American Legion, VFW, DAV, or other veterans' group, or a photo of yourself in your uniform may be acceptable.
We recommend that you call ahead to verify participation and rules. For some of the franchise companies, different locations may have different policies, and not all locations participate.
We extend our thanks to the following merchants for recognizing the sacrifices and contributions of our military members with Veterans Day specials. If you ask, you'll learn that in many instances, the company is owned by veterans. Others simply take this opportunity to express their gratitude on Veterans Day.
If you know of other Veterans Day Specials we haven't listed here, please let us know using the form at the bottom of the page. Unless a different date is specified, these offers are available on Friday, November 11, 2016.
And please, remember your manners and express your appreciation to the merchants offering their gratitude for your service! No whining will be permitted here, as I've seen elsewhere. If you feel like complaining, have at look at how returning Vietnam vets were treated, and be grateful they've ensured that you don't face that same non-welcome.
If you're taking advantage of restaurant discounts, please be sure to base your tip on the value of the entire meal, even though part of it may be free. There's no reason to cheat the servers who take good care of you, just because their employers are generously offering you a free meal.
- McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurants - Military veterans (defined as those who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who were discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable) with proper identification will receive a free entree from a special menu at lunch or dinner on Sunday, November 6, at participating locations.
This is a 16-year tradition at McCormick & Schmicks, whose founders were veterans.
Reservations are strongly recommended. Some locations are already booked!
- Applebee's Neighborhood Grill and Bar invites veterans and active duty members to come in on Veterans Day, for a free entree selected from a special menu at any of its participating locations. A military ID, copy of your DD-214, or a photo of yourself in uniform will be sufficient ID to qualify for the free offer.
- BJ's Restaurant: Complimentary entree under $12.95 for active duty and veterans on Nov. 11.
- Buffalo Wild Wings: Free small order of wings and side of fries on Nov. 11, 4-7 p.m.
- Carrabba's: Free appetizer Nov. 9 - 15 for all veterans and active duty service members.
- California Pizza Kitchen: offers a free pizza on Nov. 11 for veterans and active military with valid ID or proof of service. Find the location nearest you.
- Carino's: Free meal from a special Veterans Day menu with unlimited soup or salad for veterans and active duty on Nov. 11.
- Cheeseburger in Paradise: On Friday, Nov. 11, get a free All American Burger with fries with a beverage purchase of $1.99, with military ID or proof of service. More info.
- Chili's: Free meal all day on Veterans Day at participating locations, for veterans and active duty. Limited menu, beverages and gratuity not included.
- Claim Jumper: Nov. 9, complimentary meal from special menu.
- Cracker Barrel: Veterans are welcome to enjoy a free Double Chocolate Fudge Coca-Cola Cake on the house on Veterans Day.
- Denny's: Free Build Your Own Grand Slam meal from 5 a.m. to noon, for active duty, retirees and veterans with military ID or proof of service. Available nationwide.
- Golden Corral Military Appreciation Night: Free dinner on Monday, November 14 between 5 and 9 p.m. Veterans, retirees, active duty, Guard and Reserves all welcome. We understand Golden Corral actually started the tradition of free meals on Veteran's Day, so thank you to them! Details
- Hooters: Free meal, all day on Veterans Day. Veterans and active duty with proof of service or military ID.
- IHOP: Free Red, White and Blue pancakes from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Nov. 11 for veterans and active duty military.
- IKEA: Free entree for veterans Nov. 8-11.
- Krispy Kreme: Free doughnut and small coffee on Veterans Day. Available to active duty, retirees and veterans with ID or in uniform. Only some locations are participating, so be sure to call ahead to verify participation.
- Krystal: Free Krystal Chicken or Sausage Biscuit from 6 - 11 a.m. on Nov. 11 for active and retired military.
- Little Caesars Pizza: Wednesday, Nov. 11, free $5 Hot-N-Ready lunch combo, including 4 slices of pizza and a 20-oz. beverage, from 11-2, for all veterans and active duty with ID or proof of military service. At participating locations only, so call ahead to confirm participation.
- Logan's Roadhouse: Free dessert, in addition to the 10% military discount available every day, for military and veterans.
- Lone Star Steakhouse: Free entree from the Stars & Stripes Menu for all veterans and active military with ID. Call ahead to verify participation.
- LongHorn Steakhouse: Nov.11-14, free Texas Tonion and non-alcoholic beverage for veterans and active duty with proof of service. Call ahead to confirm.
- O'Charley's: Free $9.99 meal on Nov. 9 for veterans and active duty, plus free pie on Nov. 11.
- Old Country Buffet: Free lunch at participating locations from 11 a.m. till 2 p.m. on Nov. 11 for active duty and veterans.
- Olive Garden: Free meal from a special menu for veterans and active duty. Family members dining with them receive 10% off their meals as well. Nice.
- On the Border: Free meal from the "Create Your Own Combo" menu on Nov. 11 for veterans and active duty military.
- Outback Steakhouse restaurants invite veterans and active duty members to join them on Nov. 11 for a free Bloomin' Onion appetizer and a beverage. Also get 15% off your meals from Nov. 12 - Dec. 31.
- Red Lobster: Nov. 9-12, complimentary appetizer or dessert for veterans, reserves and active duty service members with military ID or proof of service.
- Red Robin: Free Tavern Double Burger and Bottomless Steak Fries on Veterans Day, for vets and active duty.
- Ruby Tuesday: Free appetizer for veterans, active duty and reservists on Nov. 11.
- Ryan's: Free lunch at all participating locations 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for veterans and active duty.
- Shoney's: Free All-American Burger on Veterans Day, for veterans and active duty.
- Sizzler: Free lunch (from limited menu) and beverage till 4 p.m. on Nov. 11 with proof of military service.
- Spaghetti Warehouse: Nov. 9-11, buy one entree and get the second entree free. Coupon required.
- Starbucks: Free tall brewed coffee for veterans, active duty, and spouses on Nov. 11, at participating locations.
- Station Casinos: Free buffet meal at all Feast and Festival Buffet locations, for veterans and active duty military, on Nov. 11.
- Texas Roadhouse: Free lunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Offer may be available at different hours at different locations, so call your local Texas Roadhouse for more information about their offer. Available to all veterans, active duty, and retirees.
- T.G.I.Friday's: Free lunch from a special menu at participating locations from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., for veterans and active duty.
- Tony Roma's: Complimentary half rack of Baby Back ribs for veterans and active duty service members.
- Travel Centers of America: Veterans who are CDL drivers can eat free at participating full-service restaurants.
- Uno Chicago Grill: Nov. 11, free individual pizza or entree with purchase of another of equal or greater value. Offer available for veterans and active duty members, proof of service required.
- 7-Eleven: Free small Slurpee on Nov. 11 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. All current and former military members with ID or proof of service.
- Village Inn: Free breakfast on Veterans Day for veterans and active duty. Limited menu. Also receive a "Thank You for Your Service Card" valid for 20% off your next visit.
- Weinerschnitzel: Free chili dog and small Pepsi for veterans and active duty military.
- World of Beer: Free select draft beer for veterans and active duty military on Nov. 11.
Retailers' Veterans Day Specials:
- ACE Jiffy Lube: Veterans and active duty receive 50% off a Signature Service Oil Change at participating ACE Jiffy Lube locations.
- Amazon.com: Free "Veterans Day Honor" MP3 album download. The album includes 12 songs by The Bands and Ensembles of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Bed, Bath & Beyond: On Nov. 9, 10, and 11, veterans, active duty, retirees, DoD, reserves, guard, and spouses get 20% off their entire purchase (a great opportunity for Christmas shopping!).
- Big Lots: On Saturday, 10% off your entire purchase to active-duty military members, National Guard and reserve members, retirees, honorably discharged veterans and immediate family members, with ID.
Brides Across America: Provides free designer wedding gowns to qualified military brides. Click the link for details.
- Dollar General: 11% off entire purchase on Veterans Day for active-duty military members, National Guard and reserve members, retirees, honorably discharged veterans and immediate family members.
- Great Clips:On Nov. 11, customers can pick up a free haircut card to give to their favorite veteran, and veterans can receive a free haircut or get the free haircut card. Free haircuts must be redeemed by Dec. 31.
- Home Depot: Veterans enjoy a 10% discount on Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Independence Day. Home Depot extends the 10% discount to active duty and retirees year around.
- JCPenney: Extra 20% off in stores Nov. 6-11, with coupon, for veterans, active duty and family members.
- Lowe's: Extra 10% off to active-duty military members, National Guard and reserve members, retirees, honorably discharged veterans and immediate family members.
- Massage Envy: Complimentary 1-hour massage for active military, veterans and spouses on Veterans Day in Maryland, DC, and northern Virginia locations.
- Sport Clips: Free haircut for active duty military and veterans, at select locations. Call to verify local participation.
- Toys"R"Us and Babies"R"Us: From Nov. 10 - 16, military members and their families get 20% off one regular-priced item.
- Walgreens: On Veterans Day, veterans and active duty receive 15% off eligible items and 20% off Walgreens, Nice! and W brand products.
Other Local Veterans Day Specials
We have not been able to verify that all of these specials will be offered for Veterans Day 2016, so to avoid disappointment, call to confirm first. We are giving free promotion here to those who have offered Veterans Day Specials in the past, in hopes they are doing it again.
- National Parks, Forests and Monuments: Admission to over 100 National Parks is free on Veterans Day, Nov. 11.
- Knott's Berry Farm: Free park admission to U.S. armed forces personnel and veterans, plus one guest, from Nov. 4 to Jan. 5.
- Colonial Williamsburg: Free weekend-long admission Nov. 8-11 for active-duty military, guard and reservists, retirees, veterans and their dependents.
- San Jacinto Museum of History: Free visits to the Observation Deck, theatre, and special exhibit for veterans, active duty military personnel and their families.
- Historic Jamestown: Free admission to veterans, current Armed Forces members and their family members.
- Battleship Cove, Fall River, MA: Free admission and a special ceremony for veterans, active duty and reservists.
- Vicksburg National Military Park, Mississippi: Free admission for all veterans and active military.
- Vulcan Park and Museum: In Birmingham, Alabama is offering discounted admission through November to the park and museum.
- Greenbay (WI) New Zoo Free admission to veterans and their families.
- Central Florida Zoo: Free admission to the Sanford, Florida zoo with proper ID.
- Strategic Air & Space Museum: Free admission for veterans to the Ashland, Nebraska, museum.
- National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum: In Oklahoma City offers free admission to veterans and five guests from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Veterans Day.
Veterans Day 2016
What is a Veteran?
It is the Soldier (or Veteran)
Teacher Martha Cothren Teaches a Valuable Lesson About Freedom
We Are the Nation
Before You Go - A Tribute to World War II Veterans
America's Most Decorated Soldier
PFC Charles Durning
The Truth About Vietnam Vets
NAM-POWs Set the Record Straight About Jane Fonda
Veterans May Now Salute the Flag
VA Reaches Out to Veterans
When Duty Calls - free legal help for filing VA claims
Wreaths at Arlington
World's Longest Veterans Parade
Post your own message of thanks to our veterans
And while you're here, post your holiday messages for our troops.
More Veterans Day Specials
Submitted by Our Readers
Click the link below to find additional Veterans Day Specials submitted by other readers ...
More Veterans Day Specials
Please share more Veterans Day Specials with our readers by clicking the link below, where it says "Click here to add your own comments."
We ask …